Also Sprach Qohelet

Qohelet--A redneck philosopher? A mad man with a Muse? An urban legend? Just one more griper with a keyboard and an ISP? Read on and find out. Qohelet opines on politics, religion, culture, and even sports. Qohelet is a modern renaissance man.

ALSO SPRACH QOHELET

A plethora of punditry, a smorgasboard of smack.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Low-Riders

There I am at the drive-up window of the local donut shop. No, it's not a Krispy Creme. We don't allow yankee donuts down here in redneck-land. This is a Southern Maid shop and there's not a finer thing to look at at 6 am than a Southern Maid. Anyway, I place my order with the nice Asian lady at the window and as I'm ordering I glance past her shoulder and there standing behind her is this kid with his pants pulled down. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. He's standing there with his back to me sliding some hot, fresh glazed off of a pan onto a shelf and the back of his boxer shorts are staring at me. Just as I'm about to say, "Hey, kid, your britches are riding way, way low," it dawns on me.

He's wearing them that way on purpose.



Now this kid would probably think I'm old, but honestly, I'm not that old. I'm not some old codger that just woke up grumpy and has a gripe at everything "these young people" are doing these days. It's not like that at all. But, come on. What is this kid thinking? That he looks cool with his pants down? Can't I buy a donut without having to get mooned by the neighborhood kid? There was no need to ask the famous "boxers or briefs" question, because the answer was way too obvious. Aren't there laws against this?

So, tell me, is this supposed to be sexy? Cool? What? Ever heard the phrase "not enough sense to come in out of the rain?" Well, how about, "not enough sense to keep your britches pulled up"? Please. Come on, people. If I ever catch my son running around with his drawers hanging down it'll be all she wrote. Anyway . . .

Rant over.

7 Comments:

Blogger jimbo said...

Dude--FWIW I just rode in from Pyromaniacs and thought your boxer shorts post was hilarious in a truth-ringing sort of way. Not sure what these kids are thinking. Maybe it's a preemptive strategy to avoid the humiliation of getting "pantsed" by the schoolyard bully. Last week I saw a kid running (in baby steps) to catch a bus, clutching his book bag in one hand and his belt with the other in an attempt to prevent his pants from traveling southward from mid-rump level down to the ankles. Does. Not. Look. Cool.

6:22 AM  
Blogger striving... said...

Here via pyros also. I know exactly what you are talking about. and my hubby feels the same. And the woman do the exact opposite. Pants so tight you can barely breath, with their undies hangin' out? Just from a womans point of view, I think it is both nasty. Cute post.

8:12 AM  
Blogger striving... said...

Also, Merry Christmas.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Mike Galetta said...

Great writing! I hope to see more of your posts in the future Qoholet.

I too have been perplexed at the popularity of "sagging" in young men's pants. Recently when coming out of a local business I saw two teenage boys and a mom walking towards their car, one of the boys pulled the other's already sagging drawers playfully, but unfortunately too hard, and exposed his bareness to my wife and my teen daughter. As I turned my head instinctively, what to my wondering eyes should appear but an officer patrolling the parking lot. I ran up to his open window and excitedly exclaimed "did you see that? Did you see that boy expose himself!" He said "they were just his shorts" But I insisted that his whole rear end had been exposed, and was he going to do something about it?

Well, my wife and daughter were by this time wishing they were anywhere but there, But I was adament that the officer DO something. Much to my surprise he did go over and talk to the offending party.

The real point to this whole story is that the mom was doing absolutely nothing the whole time, and seemed oblivious to the fact that her child was near naked in his everyday normal attire... This is where the problem lies, a bunch of adults who haven't grown up in their own minds think that kids know what is best for themselves, and that "they will grow out of it" Instead of providing a little leadership, authority, and guidelines to follow. When this is probably what the kids are looking for anyway...

Vent over

9:23 AM  
Blogger Qohelet said...

Yer welcome to vent here anytime buddy.

4:18 PM  
Blogger brlittle said...

Came here by way of Team Pyro... enjoyed the above post on American Pie... spot on.

Just one comment... that "yankee" doughnut company known as Krispy Kreme was founded and is headquartered in Winston-Salem, NC... and while the N stands for "North" I assure you we are American by birth and Southern by the grace of God. :)

Merry Christmas

6:18 AM  
Blogger Qohelet said...

My bad. It was that whole "north" thing that threw me. I read that word and felt no need to read further.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home